Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Life Liberty and the Pursuit of...Joy Of Course! (#SelfCareSummer)



Before I began my journey with #VBHasJoy, I was a proud and passionate teacher of history for 15 years. I loved making connections with life and historical events and more importantly I loved facilitating the space and place for students to find their DNA in our history. Although I'm not a parent that will push my passions on my son, I know that he will know a little about history and all things joy. I thought today would be a perfect day to begin some summer writing about freedom, pursuit of your well being and the joy of serving from a full vessel.


Life

This post is an introductory post-I'll write a few of these all summer to ensure you know how much I care about educator well-being and joy-which means I care about you.  Your life has a purpose and It's a gift to be allowed to serve students, schools and the communities around them. I firmly believe that teaching, leading and supporting education takes every adult serving balanced, rested and filled with joy. I know that's easier said than done-but I'm here to support your journey. It's a delicate, daily balance so starting it with intent this summer is a recipe for success. If you're a new leader starting on that golden day (July 1st), please read this blog and know your well being, balance and joy will be a key piece to your school's culture.

Liberty


Freedom is priceless and you have it; the freedom to sleep, eat healthy, make connections, and live mindfully. It doesn't mean you will not have to fight to keep your freedom either. History tells us that fighting for freedom is worth it and I say it applies to your self care and balance too.  Starting this summer and continuing during the school, you have the liberty to advocate for your joy. Say no if it means your "yes"; prioritize your plate to show what you value. It's so important for our schools. It's so important for you.

Pursuit of Joy (#SelfCareSummer)


Pursuit of happiness and joy is a personalized pathway not without some battles. #SelfCareSummer is my way of letting you know I'm a soldier for educator well being, balance and joy because I love our students. Please use this hashtag with intent this summer as you share with our twitter family the way you are taking care of you. As we get closer to starting the new school year, we'll share how we will use what we learn from each other to help others in our buildings. I'm dreaming big with you and for you! Enjoy your summer!

Joyfully Yours

Akilah 




5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I enjoyed writing about how all of you are inspiring me this summer!

      Delete
  2. This is great! I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep blogging! Your posts are very encouraging and inspirational...I have enjoyed reading them. Thank you for spreading joy and kindness and for all that you do for adults and kids!

    ReplyDelete