Sunday, November 13, 2016

Try a Little Tenderness: The role of Kindness







"Who were you kind to today?" "Who or what are you grateful for today?"  I always ask my son the same two questions everyday as we debrief about our day in school and work. I know there are other questions that a parents should ask (How was school? What did you learn today? Do you have homework?)  Don't worry, I don't forget those questions either but I feel the other two set the tone for the kind of young man I want him to be in this world and for this world.




What's your definition of kindness? I think immediately compassion, empathy, love, friendliness and joy. Kindness is an essential element of a joyful learning environment. I can't imagine an equitable joyful learning environment without tenderness, empathy and kindness for others feelings. How can you teach and model kindness in your classrooms and schools? 



Kindness matters. Our children were the recipients this season of seeing an election rife with negativity, hostility and unkind words. As a parent and educator, you wish that you could shield your child from it but it permeated the schools, classrooms and our children's hearts and minds. The day after the election, it was very important for me to make sure that my son was planting seeds of kindness. How do you intentionally plant seeds of kindness throughout your day?



So, how did he answer the question? Anyone who's had the pleasure of meeting my son knows this was definitely a real answer. "Who were you kind to today?"  Answer: "You." My mouth was agape. He continued, "You were up late watching the election, so I made a point of getting on "green" today at school to make you smile." Like I said,if you know my son, getting on "green" for behavior was very special.Not only did it make my day, his answer inspired me to write this post. What role does kindness play in your home? 



Our children are returning to school this week after a weekend of hearing more opinions and facts about a world they didn't create but live in. Be intentional with the role of kindness in our learning environments and schools. Unpack kindness with them. Let them see adults being kind to each other and give them the space and place to show and be given kindness. Try a little tenderness this week and watch what blossoms.  Please tweet out how you are planting seeds of kindness this week with #kindnessmatters. Let's spread and share the good news!


Resources to Help with Kindness Lessons:

https://www.randomactsofkindness.org/

http://www.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=3756105

https://www.edutopia.org/blog/teaching-kindness-the-kind-campaign-lisa-dabbs

http://www.scholastic.com/smp/pdfs/livestrong/livestrong5_wksht4.pdf


No comments:

Post a Comment